LOU-NUER COMMUNITY COUNCIL
September 29, 2009
RESOLUTIONS AND RECOMMENDATIONS
Meeting of Saturday 28th September 2009
An emergency meeting was held by the Lou-Nuer Community in Juba on 28th /09/2009 in Beijing Juba Hotel, under the auspices of the Council Leadership and deliberated some issues affecting the welfare of the whole Lou-Nuer Community of Akobo, Nyirol, and Uror. The meeting was chaired by its Chairperson Hon. Gabriel Yoal Dok.
The Agenda of the meeting was as follows:
Topic: Recent Developments in Duk Area.
A. Briefing on last meeting of the Lou-Nuer Community Council and its recommendations on Lou-Duk relations.
B. What caused the fighting and who fought who?
C. Use of the National Security Army in inter-tribal conflict.
2. Disarmament in Jonglei State.
3. The way forward.
The meeting was attended by more than 770 people from the Lou-Nuer Community who were briefed and later deliberated exhaustively on the given agenda and thereafter formulated and passed the following resolutions and recommendations.
Resolutions and Recommendations
1. The Lou-Nuer Community stand for peaceful resolution of conflict among Southerners. This is the only way for achieving our major objectives of destiny.
2. The Community therefore deplores the insecurity in Jonglei State of which the most recent incident was the Duk incident in which Lou-Nuer Youth clashed with the National Security Army and a Unit of SPLA.
3. Lou-Nuer has legitimate grievances within the State which were the main reason for the recent fighting in Duk
4. Lou-Nuer Community dismisses the claim that NCP backed Militia led the attack in Duk.
5. The Community does not object to disarmament of the civil population in the State provided that disarmament is comprehensive and does not target only Lou who was the first to be disarmed in 2006 but was left without protection from other armed communities.
6. The use of the National Security Army against Lou was outside its constitutional mandate. Why didn’t it intervene in the Lou-Nuer-Murle clashes? We demand that the role of the National Security Army in the State be investigated.
7. Lou-Nuer Community has lost confidence in the leadership of JSG because it does not treat all its citizens on Equal basis.
8. Formation of a committee of elders to present Lou-Nuer Grievances to H.E. the President of GoSS and to seek further clarification on GoSS Security policy.
9. The Community demands the relocation of the Capital of Jonglei State from Bor to any central place for example Waat.
10. The Community urged the Leadership of the Council to visit the people affected by the recent incidence in order to investigate the problems and to calm down the situation in the area.
11. The Council calls upon the GoSS, JSG and the International Communities (ICs) to address the hunger situation caused by the drought and failure of the rain fall in the area.
Hon. Gabriel Yoal Dok
Lou-Nuer Community Council
Cell phone No: +249-9151-40833